Second School Year on Zoom: A Reflection

Miranda Rodriguez

Sophomore Miranda Rodriguez does virtual schoolwork from her bedroom. Despite being able to see classmates and teachers on Zoom and communicate remotely, online school just isn’t the same as seeing people in person. It’s crucial that everyone respects social distancing rules and safety guidelines so that we can return to school as soon as possible. Photo provided by Miranda Rodriguez.

Miranda Rodriguez, Reporter

Thursday morning at maybe around 8:00 a.m., I woke up for my first day of “Zoom” school. My mom gently tapped my shoulder and I fluttered my eyes open. Just at that moment, tears started pouring out of my eyes like the liquid from the tea kettle I heard my brother pouring downstairs.

I really dislike the whole idea of  Zoom. Maybe some other teenagers feel the same, or maybe they don’t. Yes, there are some advantages, like being able to lay down in bed all day, doing work from the comfort of your home, being able to get food whenever you want and having your own bathroom to go to. But to me, that’s all nice and stuff, but I miss physically going to school and seeing my friends and actually interacting. I mean, who doesn’t? I used to take school for granted and I always dreaded getting ready in the morning and having to put on my uniform. Now, there’s nothing I would want more than that. 

It all just kind of hit me: the realization that nothing will be the same when we go back to school, and it’s likely going to be a while until we all can eventually return to campus. I highly doubt everyone is going to do what they’re supposed to do, and follow all the rules and guidelines to stay safe. Some may just not take things seriously, which would lead to infections and spread, making this pandemic go on longer. I get really frustrated sometimes, and I let that out by maybe crying or just plain out being in a bad mood most of the day.

My mom helped me get out of bed and walked me to the bathroom sink and told me to at least wash my face. I refused at first, but then I saw how red and teary my face was.

Just the idea of having to do Zoom upsets me. Having to join the classes, do absolutely everything virtually — turning in assignments, reading our textbooks, and just communicating, overall. Some people might say that it’s a great opportunity and that you can focus more because there’s no one to distract you from your work. However, being in an environment where I can interact with my teacher and my classmates in person is just a better learning environment for me. And I think a lot of people can agree with me on that.