• May 10 - Seniors' Last Day
  • May 20 - Last day to submit entries for Reflections Literary Magazine
  • May 24 - Last Day of School

Song Review | Benson Boone’s “Beautiful Things” Dives Into the Fear of Loss

An overnight sensation, Benson Boone’s most recent single titled “Walk Home” is laden with satisfying vocals, an explosive chorus, and overall, a great – and widely relatable – message.

Boone, a 21 year-old singer-songwriter, began singing in 2019, when he first discovered his talent when performing in a battle of the bands. In the past few years, Boone has appeared in American Idol (subsequently dropping out to focus on his own music career) and was discovered by Imagine Dragons frontman Dan Reynolds who signed him to his label, Night Street Records. In October, Boone achieved 1.7 billion career streams with his current discography consisting of an EP and various singles, his first single releasing when he was just 19 years old.

As an avid music listener, while my favorite genres and bands center around rock, I love exploring new music; Boone’s “Beautiful Things” was no exception.

A standout from this track was the explosive chorus which features notes of Måneskin-style raw vocals, drums, and electric guitar which are notably absent from the slower, more introspective verses, thus featuring a nice dynamic range throughout the song. The chorus ropes you into Boone’s passion, inviting you to embrace it with him: it is exactly the kind of song you would want in a late night drive home playlist.

The verses – somewhat gospel sounding with mentions of God – tell a love story about someone afraid of the possibility of loss: he is finally finding himself, not wanting to revert to who he used to be. He wants the good to last and, in the end, don’t we all? Even if this style of music might not appeal to everyone, the message is undoubtedly universal. Everyone can relate:  when everything is going so well, we can’t help but to be scared of losing it. Overall, the song is a ballad about being grateful for the “beautiful things” life has to offer.

Boone’s voice strikes similarity with that of Harry Styles’ which could be popular with fans of One Direction. Fans of Noah Kahan, Thomas Day, and Matt Hansen may also enjoy Boone’s most recent release.

View Comments (2)