• May 10 - Seniors' Last Day
  • May 20 - Last day to submit entries for Reflections Literary Magazine
  • May 24 - Last Day of School

The power in the kick: student takes on kick boxing

By: Camille Kelleher

Photographer

Nationally, there are increasing encouragements and pressures for America’s youth to exercise for at least one hour every day. Outlets for exercise are commonly accessible through school sports, physical education classes, dance programs, health fitness centers, and, of course, the stretch of nature in our own backyards.

When the word “exercise” comes to mind, many do not associate martial arts with a typical activity.  However, junior Elsa Trojaola is accustomed to the confused reaction she receives when others find she uses kick boxing as an exercise outlet.

“Every kick boxing session is an effective workout because my trainer pushes me to a greater limit each time. I leave feeling complex, relaxed, and in great shape,” said Trojaola.

With a passion for the sport, Trojaola, who has only been kick boxing for less than a year, is addicted to the pure exhilaration and adrenaline that it provides her. To Trojaola, this sport not only acts as a method of exercise, but also as a way to vent her stress and anger.

Trojaola thinks kick boxing has a definite future for exercise and catharsis. She encourages students who have an interest in the sport to pursue it. Equinox Fitness Clubs offer a kick boxing program with dependable and passionate trainers who focus on helping clients reach their full potential.