San Francisco Bay Area shaken by a 6.0 earthquake, the strongest in the region in 25 years

A 6.0 magnitude earthquake left four homes homes destroyed by fire and at least two others badly charred at the Napa Valley Mobile Home Park in Napa, Calif., on Sunday, Aug. 24, 2014. The community was left without water and power, and many of the homes were knocked off their foundations by the early morning temblor. (Luis Sinco/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

Residents of the San Francisco Bay Area were shaken awake early on Sunday, by an earthquake that measured 6.0 on the Richter scale.  The quake was the strongest to hit the area since 1989.  Governor Jerry Brown has declared a state of emergency for the area.

Residents of the Bay Area suffered significantly, as the earthquake that struck at 3:20 Sunday morning sent more than 120 people to Napa’s Queen of the Valley hospital, along with six more critically injured patients. A recent article published on CBS News website states that the quake started at least six significant fires, damaged major historical buildings, caused over 50 gas main breaks and 30 water main leaks, and knocked out power for more than thirty thousand customers.

The epicenter, six miles south west of Napa, California is expected to feel aftershocks of up to 5.0 on Richter scale throughout the next week. No deaths have been reported yet, and little infrastructural damage has been noted except for a few roads that caved in and at least four mobile homes that burned down as a result of the fires.