Operation Smile Club hosts “Walk a mile for a smile” event

Students taking a group shot before the walk with Mrs. Morell. Photo provied by Mirta Oramas

On April 5, the Operation Smile Club hosted its annual “Walk a mile for a smile” event, a fundraiser associated with the international charity that provides free surgery for children in countries around the world suffering from cleft lip, cleft palate, and other facial deformities. For as little as $240 a child can be saved from a lifetime of pain, shame and isolation. With the support of Gulliver students and parents, who eagerly walked around the practice field in the scorching Miami sun, the club was successfully able to garner enough funds to pay for two surgeries. The support of these Gulliver students will give two children somewhere in the globe the opportunity to go to school, make friends, and have a bright future like their own.

Throughout the years, Operation Smile has continually encouraged its members to broaden their horizons by becoming more involved in fulfilling the goals of the organization, including visiting developing countries. Club leader Dyanna Fleites-Cruz intends on accompanying other Operation Smile members on a medical mission in the Philippines while another club officer, Ryan Pearson, who is also part of the Operation Smile Executive Leadership Council, will attend the International Student Leadership Conference in Ireland with club sponsors Ms. Mirta Oramas and former sponsor, Ms. Margarita Morell.

When students help children in need, they learn firsthand how they can make an impact on the world and help heal humanity. The countless hours of work that Operation Smile members dedicate are a gift of love in the form of a smile.