Students practice French through Skype with foreign teens

Madame Kabamba’s French Studies in a Global Context class recently started to Skype with students from the Lycée Prive Barack Obama in Burkina Faso, Africa. The students exchange names and talk about life in both the U.S.A and Burkina Faso, while the American students practice French and the African students practice English.

In early October, Mrs. Jan Patterson, the IB Coordinator, shared with Ms. Kabamba information about  “Lycee Prive Barack Obama”, a school in Burkina Faso, Africa. Madame Kabamba explained that the goal is to help students perceive a greater connection between different countries including world literature and intercultural competence.

“My goal as a teacher is simple; I would like to create a cross-cultural understanding between an American school and an African school. Thanks to technology it is feasible; I believe this will have long-lasting implications for the students,” said Ms. Kabamba.

Ms. Kabamba contacted Mr. Becker, at the “Lycee Prive Barack Obama” school and offered to organize an international conference using Skype software where French students at Gulliver would represent their countries’ culture, discuss interesting and essential topics about world diversity, teenage interests, and international ideals.

With few minor issues due to technology, the students were able to introduce themselves in French and greet each other. Ms. Kabamba explained that they are going to continue doing the Skype sessions as the school year continues, and even possibly organize an exchange program between the two schools.

“I hope to learn about how teenagers around the world experience both similar yet different life styles, while practicing French,” said sophomore Harrison Reale.

Madame Kabamba discusses the goal of the Skype call with students prior to calling in.  Photo by Bianca Corgan.
Madame Kabamba discusses the goal of the Skype call with students prior to calling in. Photo by Bianca Corgan.