Art students visit Butterfly World for inspiration

Art teacher Ms. Toledo announces instructions to both of the art classes. Photo by Estefania Martinez.

On Thursday, Oct. 24, Ms. Mary Munn’s and Ms. Maribel Toledo’s Drawing and Painting 1 classes went on a field trip to Butterfly World. The classes visited the park to gain inspiration for their upcoming project.

“In order for them to create very effective compositions for their upcoming pastel projects, the students were able to identify butterflies, landscapes, and birds as subject matter and consider them as options,” said Ms. Mary Munn.

Opened in 1998 and situated in Coconut Creek, Florida, Butterfly World, (according to their website), is the largest butterfly park in the world. At the park, students went on a guided tour throughout the grounds to learn about the different types of animals and flora. The tour guide introduced the students to different types of animals, offering techniques in order to take better pictures of them. In order to concentrate on the subject matter, students refrained from taking photos during one part of the trip.

“While we were on the tour, I saw all of the butterflies and it really helped me to decide which one I wanted to draw. The morpho butterfly was my favorite;  the guide was able to show me where I could find them and different facts about them.” said freshman Alexia Zac Zac.

After a few hours, the students were allowed to go off on their own and take pictures. On assignment, they took three pictures of different landscapes, birds, butterflies, and flowers.

“I think that it was a better experience to actually see the subjects that we are meant to draw than just look at pictures. I loved going to Butterfly World,” said sophomore Bella Mathes.