• May 10 - Seniors' Last Day
  • May 20 - Last day to submit entries for Reflections Literary Magazine
  • May 24 - Last Day of School

Raider Rivalry

Raider+Rivalry

Raider R from Monica Rodriguez on Vimeo.

By: Isaac Saba

Staff Writer

Of all sports rivalries, none are more competitive or important than the one between Gulliver and Ransom Everglades.  Because Gulliver and Ransom are two of the top private schools in the area, it is only natural that the two are fierce rivals.

According to Coach Mark Schusterman, this legendary rivalry dates back to the early years of Gulliver.

“I have been here twenty nine years and the rivalry was here before I was,” said Schusterman.

The rivalry may have originated from the athletic skills of both schools, but some students believe it began when Ransom started claiming Gulliver’s Raider mascot as their own.  This tarnished history between the competitive schools has led to discussions breaking out on social media debating which team is better and who holds the title to the “real” Raider.

During games, this animosity plays out in an intense atmosphere that makes athletic events all the more enjoyable. However, the biggest athletic rivalries occur in the sports where both teams are evenly matched, such as soccer and water polo.

“I would say the strongest sports in the rivalry are boys basketball, water polo, track, tennis, and swimming.  In other sports, however, our rivalries are with Ransom’s football or softball teams, in which the rivalry is almost non-existent unless the teams meet in the playoffs,” said Schusterman.