Senior Bo Ellis commits to Harvard on football scholarship

By: Alexa Coots

News Editor

Senior running back Bo Ellis is committed to Harvard University after being offered a football scholarship to the school. His dedication to both his academic and athletic careers played an important role in his acceptance into Harvard to join the team roster this fall.

The recruiting process was a long one, but Ellis ultimately decided he would take the scholarship after visiting Boston and getting a feel for the campus and how the school operates.

“It started when Harvard sent me letters, and then the football coach called and talked to me. He asked me about my grades, how I was doing in school, and we discussed football. I decided to commit after visiting the school. I’m very excited to attend Harvard next fall, because it isn’t an experience a lot of people get to go through,” said Ellis.

Though he will be playing the same position of running back for the Harvard Crimson as he did for the Gulliver Raiders, his surroundings, teammates, and goals will differ completely. Starting at a new school and in a new town where everything is different is a tough and intimidating transition, but Ellis looks forward to beginning his college career.

“It’s going to be fun up there. There are a few other guys on the team I know, including my past teammate, Daniel Melow, so it won’t be like I’m by myself. All in all, having some friends there will make the whole thing a better experience. I have one goal in sports: to set the total yards football record in Harvard history,” said Ellis.

As an Ivy League school, Harvard presents difficult academic challenges that Ellis is ready to face. The football aspect is familiar to him, but the rigorous academic course is going to be a challenge.

“Since football isn’t really challenging to me, I think the hardest thing about going to Harvard will be keeping my grades up and focusing on my studies. I’m not exactly sure what I’m going to study yet, but I’ll probably end up majoring in economics,” said Ellis.

Beyond academics, the new environment will also be a change from what Ellis is accustomed to. Coming from Miami, Ellis fears that Boston winters will prove difficult to adjust to.

“I like the cold weather somewhat. I don’t hate it, but I think it’s going to be difficult to play games in the snow. Growing up in south Miami, I’m not familiar with playing in cold weather, but I’m up to the challenge. I honestly have no idea what it’s going to be like going to college at such a prestigious school. It’s so different from what I’m used to, but I imagine it’s going to be unforgettable. I wish I could graduate and move up there today,” said Ellis.

Even though Ellis is entering a whole new atmosphere both academically and athletically, he is bound to succeed at Harvard due to his outstanding record at the Prep.

View Comments (1)