• May 10 - Seniors' Last Day
  • May 20 - Last day to submit entries for Reflections Literary Magazine
  • May 24 - Last Day of School

Students immerse themselves in Japanese culture

By: Ravi Patel

Sports Editor

On Jan. 8, the junior International Baccalaureate class and Japanese language students visited the Morikami Japanese Museum and Gardens. Coordinated by IB faculty member Ms. Linde Barrett, the trip is designed to allow students to immerse themselves in Japanese culture and correlate observations made in the museum to the Japanese book taught in Barrett’s class, “Thousand Cranes” by Yasunari Kawabata.

“I think it’s a wonderful opportunity because most students have never experienced Japanese culture in such an enriching way. Embracing Japanese culture, walking through the gardens, and witnessing the traditional Japanese tea ceremony really brought the literature we read in class alive,” said Barrett.

After taking Japanese language in school for many years, senior Jasmine Johnson enjoyed her walk through the gardens and appreciated the countless hours of work put into each of the sections of the gardens in order to represent various dynasties in Japan.

“I loved it because I’ve been taking Japanese for four years so it was nice seeing the culture. It was also nice how the gardens emulated the landscape. The Bonsai Garden was definitely my favorite part,” said Johnson.

The International Baccalaureate students also had the opportunity to observe a traditional Japanese tea ceremony, similar to those performed in the early twentieth century. The tea mistress, who is well known for being honored by the Japanese emperor with an award, guided the students through the various steps of the tea ceremony.

“When watching the tea ceremony the various steps that was a part of it, I felt like I was transported to Japan,” said junior Jordan Rodrigues.