Delegates Shine at Stanford MUN Conference

Students pose for a group photo in front of Stanford after a superb showing at the annual Model United Nations competition. Photo by Manuel Santelices.

By Tyler Perez

More than a dozen students participated in the Stanford Model United Conference from Nov. 11-13 in California.

Advisor Manuel Santelices helped prepare students with weekly meetings and mock conferences on weekends. This preparation was no doubt a key catalyst for the delegates’ performance. Many of the intricacies that go into such an event were previously unknown by the students as there were many newcomers to the club.

This was true for freshman Luciana Diaz.

“Personally I delved into research  so that I would know my country and my position well, I also made sure I was prepared for what other delegates and countries would propose,” said Diaz.

Over 500 students from across the country competed in the conference, participating in several different committees discussing a variety of topics ranging from health care in the U.S. Senate, to issues regarding women’s rights. Seven different students managed to make a name for themselves earning various awards and accolades. Sophomore Eugenia Giampetruzzi, who has participated in conferences in the past, won best delegate for her UN Women Committee representing Cambodia.

“I put a lot of work into these conferences and I try my best to have fun while maintaining focus at all times. My experience in debate competitions with Gulliver has made a huge impact on my delegate abilities as you have to be able to stand up and talk to a room full of strangers in order to have a good conference,” said Giampetruzzi.

Other standouts included junior Isa Martinez Aleman (Outstanding Delegate  for Cambodia in Arab League), sophomore Zane Bataineh (Honorable Mention for Spanish Empire in Philippine Revolution), freshman Luciana Diaz (Verbal Communication for Cambodia in DISEC), freshman Chiara Von Gerlach (Honorable Mention for Japan in DISEC), Junior Camila Mourino (Verbal Communication for Cambodia in Arab League), and sophomore Xavier Moncada (For Verbal Communication in Legal Committee).

A new batch of students mixed with some of the delegates from Stanford now shift their focus to their next conference in New York City hosted by Columbia University in January. One of students who attended the Stanford conference and will also be attending Columbia is senior Daniella Vasquez.

“Columbia is different because it’s a crisis competition so it’s a lot harder to prepare for but I’m excited to learn how to think outside of the box and being ready to face some harder competition,” said Vasquez.

The Columbia Model United Nations Conference will take place Jan. 12-15.