Music Department Succeeds at Competition

GulliverPrep_MusicHonorBand_REVSMALLThe Gulliver Music department excelled throughout the year, shining in a variety of different competitions and festivals.

The first of which was a state-wide competition in Fort Myers on Feb. 6. where students received Superiors in the competition for solo and ensemble, as well as Jazz Ensemble.  The Jazz Ensemble received a Superior rating at the district festival on Feb. 18 for the 14th consecutive year.  The department demonstrated their versatility with several other Ensembles winning  Superiors.  None of which would have been possible if not for the hard work put in by both the students and instructors.

“I prepared by practicing my music and making sure I knew the music like the back of my hand. It was a tough competition but one that was an overall great experience for me,” said sophomore Isabel Soloranzo.

Throughout the year it was a total group effort as freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors all participated under the direction of long time music director, Ron Castonguay and assistant director, Samantha Tamayo.

The other ensembles participated in district festivals throughout the month of March. The Wind Ensemble received a Superior rating on Mar. 5, which was the 11th consecutive year in which the ensemble received the honor. String Ensemble awarded with a Superior for the 15th consecutive year on Mar. 9th as well as the Vocal Ensemble which won a superior rating for the 16th consecutive year on Mar. 15.

The long and tedious process for the competitions, did not stop there as the department shifted their attention to a near week long trip which included fun and hard work. As the department participated in three different festivals in three different locations in a four-day period from Apr. 14 to Apr. 17. The first of which was on Apr. 14 in the Florida Orchestra Association State Festival in which the String Ensemble received an overall Excellent Rating. The second was the 2016 Lakeside Jazz Festival, which took place on Apr. 15. This was no different from the other competitions as the department received numerous accolades, despite it being the first year in which they participated. The Jazz Ensemble received superior ratings from 3 adjudicators, including the prestigious award of “Most Outstanding High School Jazz Ensemble.” Although it was a group effort, senior Oliver Labrador stood out, winning a Solo Award for his performance on the Flugel Horn.

During the WorldStrides OnStage National Music Festival on Apr. 15 and Apr. 16 the department excelled with the Vocal Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, String Ensemble, Full Orchestra, and Wind Ensemble all being award Gold 1st Place honors. Each one received straight Superiors. The process was a long one full of hard work, but one full of enjoyment for the students.

“It was a tedious but enjoyable process due to the fact we had to go to different competition sites for the Jazz band and solo ensemble embers. IT was definitely worth it however due to the fact that everyone played with great emotion, and it was beautiful to observe and participate in,” said junior Alejandro Sanz.