Sailing Team Makes Waves

[slideshow_deploy id=’2625′]

In most areas of the country, sailing is a seasonal sport. But thanks to the continuously warm Miami climate, the varsity team credits much of its success to their ability to practice and compete year-round.

“I love participating in a varsity sport that is competitive, team-oriented, and allows us to spend time on Biscayne Bay,” said junior Alyssa Seleznov.

The regular season competitive sailing circuit (SAISA South Points) began in September, with the last regatta having taken place on Feb. 27. Once the regular season circuit concludes, state rankings of the top-7 schools in the state decide the South Atlantic Regional berths where the top-3 teams qualify for Nationals.

“We have had a very successful year so far, consistently finishing with top places and creating a name for ourselves as one of the top teams in Florida,” said junior Jack Johansson, “Our next goal is to secure a spot at Nationals held in Charleston.”

Some of the season’s standout results included a win at the November All-State Sugar Bowl National Invitational in New Orleans, which was followed by another 1st place finish at the SAISA South Points #5.

“The team is working very hard toward our yearly goals and has had some great successes so far,” said head coach Brian Kamilar, “We have improved significantly and are making great strides preparing for the South Atlantic Regional Championships in April.”

Notable sailors include Clay Snyder and Ben Guido, who won B-Division at South Points #1; Sean Brennan and Teddy Bueres, who won B-Division at South Points #5; and Jack Johansson and Timothy Kaplan, who competed at the All-State Sugar Bowl National Invitational.