• Art Exhibition Showcase April 16-17
  • Senior Week: April 15-19 in the Student Union During Both Lunches!
  • IB Seniors' Last Day of School: April 23

NHS participates in #Movember competition

English teacher Adam Schachner was one of the participants for the “No-Shave November” Challenge. Schachner won the competition, receving $80 in donations towards having him shave his beard into a creative goatee.shave his beard and wear a creative goatee.  Photo by Karenna Northland.
English teacher Adam Schachner was one of the participants for the “No-Shave November” Challenge. Schachner won the competition, receving $80 in donations towards having him shave his beard into a creative goatee.shave his beard and wear a creative goatee. Photo by Karenna Northland.

During the month of November, the National Honor Society started an initiative with several teachers to promote uniting the school community for a good cause.

The three main goals of the project were to raise money for prostate cancer research and increase school spirit among both the Prep and Miller campuses.

“This year we’re trying to push for NHS to really play a role in shaping the school’s culture and we figured that this drive would get a lot of students on board and really excited. It is a very common hashtag out there, #Movember, and so we wanted to meet the student body where they’re at,” said NHS Sponsor Mr. Gabriel Medina.

The plan for the “No-Shave November” project was to have NHS members take time during their lunch period to encourage students to donate money into five jars each corresponding to a different teacher and grade: math teacher Christopher Kang (freshmen), English teacher Adam Schachner (sophomores), social science teacher Gabriel Medina (juniors), and science teacher Luis Luis Fayat (seniors). The teacher with the most donations in their jar would have to change their facial hair to a style picked my the winning class. After two weeks of collecting donations, Mr. Schachner was announced as the winner.

“This is the first year NHS has ever done something like this. We wanted to make sure we could create a fun and inspiring project that promoted school spirit in the name of a good cause,” said senior Valentina Wakeman.

Raising over $100 overall, NHS hopes to keep spreading spirit throughout the school and really try and get students involved in any of their upcoming projects.

NHS has many ideas for creative projects in the upcoming months. The student board which consists of president Valentina Wakeman, vice president Ana Laub, treasurer Sophia Esquenazi, secretary Michelle Piña, and public relations manager Morgan Greaton, along with their sponsor, Mr. Gabriel Medina, already have plans to begin other projects that will encourage student participation.