Boys Varsity Basketball Begins Season

Boys Varsity Basketball Team:  Top Row (Left to Right): Victor Uyaelumno, Joseph Jackson, Alaz Sengul, Solomon Uyaelumno Middle Row (Left to Right): Evan Silberman, Ryan Heckaman, Justin Perez, Drew Massirman, Rahul Parekh  Bottom Row (Left to Right): Miguel Yaniz, Ryan Grppando, Barry Robinson, Jack Pattullo.  Photo by Jacqueline Dylewski.
Boys Varsity Basketball Team: Top Row (Left to Right): Victor Uyaelumno, Joseph Jackson, Alaz Sengul, Solomon Uyaelumno Middle Row (Left to Right): Evan Silberman, Ryan Heckaman, Justin Perez, Drew Massirman, Rahul Parekh Bottom Row (Left to Right): Miguel Yaniz, Ryan Grippando, Barry Robinson, Jack Pattullo. Photo by Jacqueline Dylewski.

After a disappointing preseason, the Raiders basketball team has gone 2-6 to start the regular season.

Over the Thanksgiving break they participated in an invitational at American Airlines Arena, home of the Miami Heat. They also traveled to Louisiana to play two games against teams from Mississippi and Texas in the “Battle for the Boot,” held at Southern University.

The team is headlined by their front court players, Victor and Solomon Uyaelunmo and Joseph Jackson. Each of those three are either 6’7” or taller, making size one of the team’s biggest strengths.

“Our biggest strength is our experience and our size. We have three big guys that would all be the best big man on any other team in the area. We also have three senior guards that know our system and play well together. We should be a great rebounding, shot blocking, transition team. We need to improve on our half court execution as teams will pack the paint and dare our shooters to make shots,” said Coach Manny Bloom.

The Raiders have various tough games on their schedule. Their district has expanded, adding new teams like Pinecrest Prep and Westminster Christian. Non-district opponents teams they play include Miami Norland Senior High, who have won four straight state championships and Providence School of Jacksonville, a nationally-ranked defending state champion.

Over the summer, the players attended a team camp at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. The team beat Lake Highland Prep in the final.

“Our team camps always help us a great deal. Embry Riddle Team Camp in Daytona is the camp where we really get a lot accomplished.  We have team meetings, watch films, play games, and spend an entire week out of town together. We gain a lot of chemistry through this camp and winning the Championship doesn’t hurt either,” said Coach Bloom.

Even with the early season struggles the Raiders hope to improve and win more games and eventually reach their goal of making the state tournament.

“My expectations for the team as a whole is that we should be able to go far this year. We have a great group of guys that really work hard and play well together and I think if we continue to just grind in practice and follow our game plan we can do some big things,” said senior guard Justin Perez.

Some games have been moved to other locations because of a scheduling conflict. The team will play against Providence in the Hoop Exchange at Chaminade-Madonna before hosting the 4th Annual Akerman LLP Holiday Classic.  More games are scheduled to take place in January.