Bowling Finishes up Regular Season Games

Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 1.09.34 PMThe bowling team performed well this season, though they remain committed to further improvement.

The boys’ team has a record of four wins and seven losses while the girls’ team has a record sitting at seven wins and five losses.

All matches were held at Bird Bowl Bowling Center in Miami. The girls and boys teams have faced off against Braddock, Miami Christian, Hialeah, and Coral Reef.

“I am very pleased with how both teams have performed and improved thus far. Some of these bowlers bowled less than 100 the first couple of weeks of try-outs. Others have never bowled in their life,” said bowling coach Yaritza Roman.

Practices were held at Bird Bowl since it is the only regulated bowling alley in all of Dade County.

“My goals for them are to improve their bowling score in each practice or match by 10-15 pins and also to be consistent when they practice and during our matches. That goal has been met and surpassed by some of our bowlers,” said Roman.

As a whole, players on both teams want themselves and their teammates to do well while consistently improving each time.

The top bowlers for the boys’ team are captain and freshman Mason Gebhart, who has been on the team since he was in middle school, and senior Daniel Slodarz. The top female bowlers include senior Ana Hilton and junior Taylor Heyser.

Gebhart has the highest pin average of the boys with 135 while Slodarz averages 115 pins per game. As for the girls, Hilton has averaged 122 pins per game and Heyser has averaged 114.

District Championships took place on Oct. 27 at Bird Bowl. Coral Reef hosted the tournament, which included 16 teams in district 17. The girls team placed 6th overall, and the boys placed 10th. Individual scores included senior Ana Hilton in 11th place and junior Taylor Heyser in 18th place.

“Boys showed a lot of improvement this year by finishing top 10 in the district, and girls finished 6th in a highly competitive district. We look forward to our season next year, with both of our young teams,” said Coach Yaritza Roman.