Parents Interact with Teachers at Back to School Night

Photo by  Jacqueline Dylewski
Psychology teacher Melanie Ervin gives information to parents following an interactive presentation using Kahoot. Photo by Jacqueline Dylewski.

On Wednesday Sept. 16 from 6 to 9 pm, the junior and senior back to school night took place. Parents attended their children’s classes and met with each of their teachers.

Back to School night is a night for parents to get to know who their children’s teachers are and build a relationship. It is a chance for parents to get an idea of what kind of teachers are in the school and their teaching styles.

“I think back to school night gives an opportunity to have the key elements of a students support team on the same page to best serve that students future,” said history teacher Mr. Griffin.

National Honor Society members participated in the event by helping direct parents around the school to the classrooms. The members were in groups that were placed at different points of the school to help guide parents in  all areas of the campus. NHS helped throughout the whole event, including directing parents to the lunchroom and redirecting lost parents to the right classroom.

“Parents usually don’t know how to get around the campus, especially to some of the harder classrooms like in the 300s, so the other members and I were helping the parents get to where they needed to be,” said senior NHS member Julia Rodman.

Back to school night is an important event for the parents as it gives a chance for parents to get involved in the classroom and also allows them to get to know how their children are being taught in each of their classes. It helps parents understand how to help their children during the tougher times of high school by knowing what each and every one of their child’s classes expect.