Bootcamp Helps Seniors Prepare

Guidance counselor Yasmin McGinnis helps senior Marley Glassberg navigate through the Common App website. As part of the Senior Boot Camp, seniors also linked their profiles on Naviance. Photo by Kayla Patel.

The start of the school year is always a hectic time, however, for the seniors, the start of the application season tends to add extra stress.

On Aug. 19 the guidance counselors sat down with the senior class for a College Application Boot Camp which gave students the opportunity to start the year, not only organized, but with an idea of how to navigate the application process.

“It is important to know all the final application dates, especially because it varies according to the school,” said guidance counselor Dr. Adriana Muñoz.

Muñoz explained that each school has
a different admissions process, especially if the school is not a part of the Common Application, such as Florida state schools like the Florida State University and the University of Florida. Not only do the dates vary, but the conditions under which a student applies can also affect application deadlines. Students can apply early if the school offers a binding Early Decision or a non-binding Early Action option.

Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 1.12.52 PM

Some schools have earlier application deadlines which are important to be aware of. Students applying to Florida State University should be aware that they have one of the earliest deadlines in the nation,” said guidance counselor Warren Zucker.

The counselors not only aided the students with the basic application process, but also spent an hour going over how to write an effective essay, which is a crucial element of the application. Guidance counselor Connie Ernsberger explained that it is important to emphasize a personal connection to the school in the supplements. College admissions officers want to know if the student could thrive at the particular university.

“I feel that the Boot Camp was very productive and relieved a lot of the stress that goes into filling out the applications, especially the tiny intricacies that students normally overlook,” said senior Valentina Wakeman.

Although the application process is still a stressful endeavor, the Guidance Boot Camp helped relieve many of the anxieties students had by answering questions and engaging each individual student in the process.