Students Attend Coral Gables Bar Luncheon

IMG_4201 On Thursday Feb. 18, Estefania Martinez, Katherine Cohen, and Adian Kahl attended the Coral Gables Bar luncheon where they had the opportunity to hear Judge Lester Langer speak at the Seasons 52.

“It was a fantastic learning experience learning experience. I enjoyed the exposure to a variety of different professions regarding law,” said sophomore Katherine Cohen.

All three students are seasoned members in the Model United Nations Club in addition to being experienced in mock trials and litigation practice.  Adorned in their suits, they fit in well amongst the mediators and lawyers.

The presentation by Judge Langer provided a comprehensive examination of the mediation privilege in addition to discussions of privileged and confidential discussions.

“Since I have been involved in Model UN, I always knew that I loved diplomacy, however before this experience I was unaware of how similar and interesting litigation can be,” said senior Aidan Kahl.

Mediation is essentially an attempt to reach a settlement before a case goes to trial. The

IMG_4202presentation was sponsored by the Coral Gables Bar Association and the firm of Salmon & Dulberg.

“The presentation was engaging and interesting. I enjoyed the fact that they discussed previous cases and how they have impacted the practice of mediation. I am interested in studying law in the future” said junior Estefania Martinez.

After the presentation, students had to opportunity to ask questions and speak with Judge Langer himself.