SBTRKT performs two times in one night

Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 12.53.40 PMOn Sat. Dec. 6, 2014, the National Young Arts Foundation in cooperation with III Points company hosted a concert where SBTRKT headlined along with A$AP Ferg.

Similar to the III Points Music, Arts. & Technology Festival in October the event was a mixed display of all three mediums. The event was the third in a series during Art Basel week. Thursday, Dec. 4, and Friday. Dec.5, also hosted similar events at Young Arts featuring artists such as James Blake and FKA Twigs.

The doors opened at 7 P.M. but the headliners did not play until well after 9 P.M. Instead the crowd enjoyed several other opening acts while mingling throughout the venue. Stationed around the space were several small stations all including different activities. Gigi, an Asian-fusion restaurant, had a small booth where they were selling food. In another station, the popular app, PHHHHOTO, had their own booth where fans were able to make time lapse videos of themselves. Also, there were several displays of digital art throughout Young Arts.

The stations were all interesting distractions until one of the main headliners, A$AP Ferg, began his performance. Fans all rushed to the main stage area to hear the rapper, infamous for his aggressive lyrics. Yet Ferg surprised the crowd by starting off his set by referencing the Michael Brown case in his new song, “Talk It.” The audience was visibly moved as they listened to Ferg’s take on the racial tensions and prejudice currently going on.

“When A$AP Ferg started playing, everyone was either excited or anxious since we had all waited a long time for the headliners to start, but as soon as he started singing “Talk It,” the crowd kind of went quiet. His lyrics were so intense,” said junior Camilla Caremoli.

The main act to watch though was SBTRKT. With strobe lighting and electronic music, SBTRKT knows how to put on a show. Furthering his musical persona, SBTRKT always performs while wearing different versions of ceremonial masks.

In his daily life, SBTRKT is known as Aaron Jerome, a young English musician who recently released his new album, Wonder Where We Land. The album showcases songs including other popular artists such as Ezra Koenig from Vampire Weekend and A$AP Ferg. Both musicians helped SBTRKT during his set at Young Arts. Koenig, who’s own band is extremely successful, recorded “New Dorp, New York” along with SBTRKT. The live version of the song was one of the highlights of the night.

“SBTRKT was the quintessential live music experience in the history of post modern neo classical indie electronica. The mask (that he wore) stands as testament to the inherent anonymity displayed in his music,” said senior Daniel Garcia.

Headliner SBTRKT continued to perform, even after his set at Young Arts. The young producer took his intense lighting and music straight to Grand Central for his second performance of the night.