• May 10 - Seniors' Last Day
  • May 20 - Last day to submit entries for Reflections Literary Magazine
  • May 24 - Last Day of School

Mockingjay Flies into Theaters

From left, Commander Paylor (Patina Miller), Gale Hawthorne (Liam Hemsworth), Boggs (Mahershala Ali), Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence), and Pollux (Elden Henson) in “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1.” (Murray Close/Lionsgate/MCT)

The Hunger Games Trilogy is based on a girl, Katniss Everdeen, and her life in a dystopian world where 24 tributes are selected annually and sent into an arena and forced to kill each other off. Katniss is disgusted by the system designed by the government and after winning the Hunger Games, she inadvertently begins a revolution in the different areas of the nation. At the end of the second movie, Catching Fire, Katniss has been captured by a secret force working against the government.

The first two movies both saw huge box office success and many are anticipating the third to be even more successful. Mockingjay’s movie adaptation, like other big franchises such as the Harry Potter series and the Twilight series, will be divided into two movies therefore giving the director more room for creative interpretation as well as giving the fans an extra movie. Unusually, some fans are hoping that the director will switch some things around instead of trying to create a perfect book to movie adaptation.

Mockingjay has excited many fans who are huge fans of the books, movies, and the lead actress of the series, Jennifer Lawrence. However, fans agree that the book was disappointing compared to the other books in the trilogy with some saying it lacked depth, and even a decent plot line.

“Honestly, the book was kind of slow. I loved the first and second books because  Katniss seemed to be doing something but in the third book, she just whines all the time and doesn’t really do anything. I think the movie is going to put a different spin on it though. They might even take out some things from the book that will make the movie even better,” said freshman Isabella Martinez.

The movie has several fans on edge dutifully awaiting the premiere. The movie is set to answer many questions concerning the protagonist and her revolutionary attempts. Hopefully, the movie will live up to its very high expectations.