One Size Does Not Fit All

“I am very sorry but these are the women pants chosen for your school. In fact they are a new line, “ the store employee added with a compassionate smirk, if a smirk could ever be compassionate.  I was furious. Did these designers and people in charge of picking our uniforms know that women came in all shapes and sizes? In today’s world, women are constantly forced to conform to body images created by the media. I would like to believe I am comfortable in my own skin, however the school pants and their unflattering cut made me think otherwise.

The school pants have no shape or structure. Perhaps the designers worked off a sizing chart foreign to most teenage girls. What ever it is the pants do not fit.

In a school as diverse as ours, with body types from all over the globe, why should all girls conform to a single style of pants?

I was insulted at the fact that the school uniforms pants only came in one style. It seems to be that it does not matter if they didn’t fit us correctly; we are still required to wear them.

We are skinny, curvy, tall, short, and overall unique and beautiful individuals. Not one girl is the same as the next and our school pants should not make the assumption that we all can fit into one style of pants.

I’m not advocating for breaking the dress code or going against school policy, I’m just suggesting that we should be given more options. Perhaps if we are granted the right to more options, we will be less compelled to break the school dress code. We are women and by definition we are all different in one form or another, so why do the school pants not reflect the obvious?