• Art Exhibition Showcase April 16-17
  • Senior Week: April 15-19 in the Student Union During Both Lunches!
  • IB Seniors' Last Day of School: April 23

Fall Out Boy- Centuries

2013 American Music Awards
Pete Wentz, left, and Fall Out Boy arrive at the 2013 American Music Awards at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in Los Angeles on Sunday, November 24, 2013. (Adam Orchon/Sipa USA/MCT)

Fall Out Boy was never the same after main singer Patrick Stump became hot, or so I tell myself. When I listen to their new hit song Centuries, the hipster in me is appalled, although the more sensible side rationalizes that it is actually a catchy tune.

This new song brings back a stubborn sense of nostalgia, wishing for their old garage punk tone that sounds like seventh grade. They were once considered punk rock and alternative, and I was not embarrassed when I told everyone who asked that I loved their music. They were the staple of kids who did not like mainstream music. One of their hit songs, The Carpal Tunnel of Love, even has a portion of screamo from bass guitarist Pete Wentz. Therefore, they were completely off the beaten path. Totally unique. Right?

Not anymore. I often scoff how the band sold their souls to the pop culture devil, and I publicly announce that I only listen to their classic music. That new album? Save Rock and Roll? Oh, of course I don’t listen to it. Not even once. Too popular. That new song too, that one about decades or something.

Okay, maybe I’ve jammed out to the album at home and know every lyric to each song by heart. Maybe I played their new song Centuries as my jam for a few days in a row. Sure, they are not the same band that they once were. They might have a few more fans and a bit more auto- tune, but all hipster criticism aside Fall Out Boy is still a great band and Centuries is a great song.