Zak the Baker: A Miami Staple

Nestled in the heart of the Wynwood Arts District, Zak the Baker is a welcome sight for locals who are craving the bakery’s delectable treats, with mouthwatering scents emitting from the bustling bakery and a menu that will not leave patrons disappointed.

Established in 2012 as an Independent Artisan Kosher Bakery by Zak Stern, Zak the Baker is known both locally and nationally, with its distinction as a Michelin Bib Gourmand designated eatery. This Miami bakery has been nominated for a James Beard Award as one of the best bakeries in the nation.

While its long lines may seem intimidating at first glance, the dazzling array of treats are well worth the wait and hype. The menu is a mix of the traditional bakery staples, and their house creations, but all are of high quality. 

One side of the menu is home to the bakery classics, including the must-have blueberry muffins. With the right amount of berries and not-so-sugary cinnamon streusel, they are the perfect breakfast or snack with coffee. It also wouldn’t be right to forget the chocolate chip cookie, with its thin crispy exterior, and an interior bursting with the chocolate flavor one would expect from a well-made cookie. 

The cinnamon roll, with the perfect amount of the glazing, is one of my favorites in Miami. Although the cinnamon rolls and cookies are great, the star among the treats is the chocolate babka, a sweet braided bread that originated in the Jewish communities of Eastern Europe, primarily in Poland and Ukraine. Topped with the same streusel as the muffins, each bite has the equal amount of the instantly mouthwatering chocolate filling, leaving you wanting more. 

Now, if you want to venture into the nontraditional side, choose their Mango Basque Cheesecake (a seasonal item to be on the lookout for when it’s on the menu) with its burnt exterior and creamy interior. While mango is not traditionally used for basque cheesecake, this combination packs a powerful punch. 

While Zak the Baker’s pastries are a standout, their savory menu should not be ignored: it contains a great selection of savory breakfast dishes, sandwiches, soups, salad, sides and their amazing breads and bagels. If you have to pick one of their many sourdough combinations, the hearty sourdough multigrain works well as a base for breakfast, especially topped with eggs, or as a side to soup. Their olive and za’atar sourdough loaf is also worth the purchase, as it is different from the usual sourdough loaf you are able to find at the grocery store. 

If one is not able to make it in person before the line grows too long, there is no reason to miss out on what this amazing place has to offer. A selection of their baked goods are available to purchase at Whole Foods, and one will be able to see for themselves why Zak the Baker has achieved national recognition, and has been able to continue growing for the past 14 years. While most Miami eateries are flashy and not worth the hype, Zak the Baker is consistent with their quality and one will always leave satisfied.