Varsity Boys Soccer Wins District Championship

The varsity boys soccer team won the district championship after beating the MAST Academy Makos last Tuesday in a hard fought battle in the Sean Taylor Memorial 01’ Field.

Tensions were high on both sides at the start of the game as both teams had great opportunities to attack, and score goals. Even though both teams had plenty of chances, the score ended 0-0, causing the game to go into overtime.

Senior Cosme Salas scored a free-kick goal during the first half of overtime, but it was disallowed because the referee didn’t blow the whistle before Salas kicked the ball. However, in the last minutes of overtime, Salas and junior Taro Ochi made a great play, which led to winger and senior Marco Mendoza scoring the winning goal and the game.

“I was honestly just happy. I saw my teammates building up a play, a great play in general, and I was happy to be able to brace that. I was happy we were able to end the game well and continue throughout the season. We’re in the knockout stages now so we have to perform, start scoring early, and win games,” Mendoza said.

Over the past few years, the Makos have been one of the Raiders’ biggest rivals according to Assistant Coach Federico Mor-Tatis. Last year, they defeated the Raiders in a penalty shootout, which motivated the Raiders’ to defeat them. This year also served as the first year in the program’s history where the Raiders maintained an undefeated record in the regular season and in districts.

“It’s a very emotional game… I’m very happy to have finished the district and regular season undefeated. It’s the farthest this program has ever been through reaching that milestone and going back to be seeded number one in the nation,” Mor-Tatis said.

Even though the Raiders were able to win districts, they still have high hopes to win the FHSAA Class 4A State Championship for the second year in a row.

“I’m really proud of what the team has accomplished and I’m happy with the two trophies that we have. Obviously they are not the trophies that we want though, we still want that big one (States),” centre-back and senior David Rincon said.

The Raiders will be back on the field today at 3 p.m. on the Sean Taylor Memorial 01’ Field, where they will play against Cardinal Gibbons in the Regional Championship Quarter Final.