Raiders Bring Home Palm League Championship for the Second time

Senior+and+captain+Cosme+Salas+kicks+the+ball+into+the+goal.+He+scored+and+help+the+team+win.+They+team+scored+three+goals+and+won+the+Palm+League+Championship.+
Alex Beker
Senior and captain Cosme Salas kicks the ball into the goal. He scored and help the team win. They team scored three goals and won the Palm League Championship.

On Thursday the Boys Varsity soccer team won the fourth annual Palm League Championship against North Broward Prep for the second time back to back.

The Raiders won the championship with three goals scored in the second half. They currently have a winning streak of 18 games and have yet to lose this season. In order to qualify for the game, they had to win four play off games.

“This game was really important to us because it was our first trophy out of the four we are looking to get this year,” senior goalie Dominic Pratt said. “The game also really helped us mentally prepare for other high pressure games that will come in the playoffs.”

Pratt has played 18 games and has only conceded one goal at an away game. No team has scored on the home field this season.

Senior and striker Bruce Alvarez scored his first goal of the season during the game. Senior Mateo Colak gave an assist to Alvarez who was able to kick the ball in the bottom left past the goalie.

“I took a touch over the defender and ran towards the goalie one on one. I slotted the ball in the side bottom left of the goal. It was amazing and all happened so fast,” Alvarez said.

Another goal was scored by senior, captain, and center midfielder Cosme Salas. Senior Lucas Barros passed the ball to Salas from the box, and shot the ball into the left of the goal. Salas has high hopes for the team as they continue in the season. He has also led the team as captain through their winning streak.

“I have led this team as a captain by trying to lead by example through my hard work as well as motivating the team to play as a family and work hard no matter what happens,” Salas said. “This win means a lot to me and the seniors as this was our last Palm League Final. The team played well and played with patience. To start, we were playing in subpar weather conditions and against a team who was defending deep in their area. We continued to attack and stayed patient and took advantage of the opportunities we had which helped us win.”

The team huddles before the game. they competed in the Palm League Championship. They won for the second time back to back.

The team recently came back from the SoCal Showcase Seventh Annual Tournament in California where they won all three games they played. They showcased their skills to local high school and college teams. Due to the team’s success, they were invited to come back to play again next year.

“The California games were our toughest games of the year so far, but also some of our best games. They tried to show us that California played better, but we played our same game and with more togetherness than ever, maintaining our undefeated record,” senior center back Joaquin Beker said. “This helped our morale for the rest of the season, giving us the confidence to keep going with the same mentality.”

The Raiders will soon finish the regular season with three remaining games and will then hope to compete in districts, regionals, and states. This would be the program’s 11th appearance in the state championship if they make it. The Varsity team is currently ranked number three in the country and will play their next game on Saturday against St. Thomas Aquinas.

View Comments (1)