• May 10 - Seniors' Last Day
  • May 20 - Last day to submit entries for Reflections Literary Magazine
  • May 24 - Last Day of School

JV Basketball Faces Tough Challenge, Falls Short Against Riviera Prep

Foxmar
Sophomore point guard Leondrez Leonard goes up to the basket for a three-point opportunity. Leonard was gifted with two free throws making them both. This was just one of the many shooting fouls he drew.

The JV basketball team took a hard-fought loss to the Rivera Bulldogs in the Blue Dungeon on Monday. 

The game was close until the fourth quarter, when Rivera scored nine more points than the Raiders, giving the team the victory and making the final score 45–56. The JV team is looking forward to improving on their skillset and camaraderie the remainder of the season according to starting sophomore center Javier Kodsi.

“This game was a wake-up call for our team. We need to play more team basketball and be prepared mentally. Especially for upcoming games. My team and I take accountability, but all we can do is just practice for the next one and try to keep getting wins,” Kodsi said. 

Sophomore starting shooting guard Tyler Forte takes the three-pointer during the first quarter of the game. This made shot was the Raiders’ first three-pointer of the game. This shot was the start of a 6-0 scoring run by the Raiders. (Foxmar)

This particular game was a tough pill to swallow for the team as it was neck and neck until the fourth quarter. The Raiders started slow, but held on to a two-point lead at the end of halftime. Subsequently, Rivera was up by two points getting into the fourth quarter. By then, that’s when the team’s stamina couldn’t hold long enough losing by double-digit points. 

“Coming back from the break was tough. I for one felt exhausted getting onto that court and I think I can speak for my team as well. Most of us were out for the break missing a long period of conditioning and practice, this only means we need to get stronger for the upcoming games,” sophomore player Jack Thornton said. 

However, this loss isn’t to fool anyone. The JV boys basketball team has come a long way from the start of their season, playing more compatible with one another. The team is also being reunited with their starting point guard who has missed all season due to an injury. A new addition can bring the Raiders more firepower into the lineup.

“They’ve grown a lot. We are now much more consistent. Not turning the ball over as much is something we are doing well, we are growing, we just need to grow faster. Hopefully, as Champ gets back in the mix, one of our more talented players can bring us to that next level on what we’ve already been doing,” Junior Varsity Coach Cardoza said.   

Next Friday the guys will go head-to-head against Westminster Christian School finishing out their season.