Parents’ Association Plans Annual Festivities

IMG_7861The Parents’ Association has worked hard throughout the years to make students’ high school experiences better. Whether it’d be through working with the Student Council in order to provide students with holiday treats such as an assortment of desserts for Valentine’s Day, or large events such as planning the Senior Sendoff, the Parents’ Association greatly contributed to school spirit.

Led by Ana Lugones, the Association is made up of several committees. These committees include Culture Art, which is in charge of helping with music, drama and dance, Decorations, which is in charge of holiday school decorating, Mini Event Coordinator, which is in charge of mini events (such as field trips), and Parent Council, which is in charge of finding guest speakers to present to students.

Any parent can become part of a committee in the Association, as long as their child is currently enrolled and as long as they can remain on the Council for at least two years.

“We are basically the eyes and ears of the school. We know all the secrets that go into the plans for the seniors, and we help around wherever we can,” said chairman Ana Lugones.

Senior Sendoff, taking place on May 13, is hosted by one of the chairpersons of the Association, Lucy Hassan. The event consists of throwing a going-away party for graduating seniors. Months of preparation going into planning a memorable event.

“We have volunteers who help us from the Parents Association, along with senior parents, and we include flashy decorations, delicious food, and basically make it an overall fun party,” said Hassan.

Senior Sendoff is funded by donations from parents, and is meant for only seniors and their families. The guidance department and alumni association, also contribute to the event. Along with a fun party, seniors can expect to pick up their cap and gown and yearbook at the event.

“The goal of the party is to give seniors a fun and memorable time all together before they graduate,” said Activities Director, Danielle Bowen.