• Art Exhibition Showcase April 16-17
  • Senior Week: April 15-19 in the Student Union During Both Lunches!
  • IB Seniors' Last Day of School: April 23

Golf tees off their season with a great start

Sophomore Roman Lopez watches his ball after crushing it off the tee. Photo by Coach Piggot.

The Golf team is off to a rapid 7-1 start to their season, a record that includes dominating wins over rival Ransom, Westminster Christian, Key West and Palmer Trinity.

However, the team stumbled in the recent county tournament, finishing with a score of 319, which was good enough for fourth place.

“We didn’t get the outcome we were expecting, especially coming in with such momentum. I think we can improve on that result and look forward. We are looking for more consistency and get better each day in practice,” said Coach Steve Solomon.

Throughout the season thus far, Seniors Scott Martinez, Trevor Pelletier and Ryan Fluxman have all made improvements and contributions to the team. Along with the senior trio, Junior Chris Nido, and Sophomore Roman Lopez have made their impact as well.

“Scott Martinez and Chris Nido both have a good chance to play in college if they chose to. Both of them should be highly competitive as they aim to make the state tournament,” said Coach Solomon.

Martinez hasn’t quite set his goals so high just yet.

“I’m just taking it one game at a time adding new skills to my game. If I continue to improve playing and the mental aspect of the game, I’m confident I will succeed. The game is 90% mental, 10% physical,” said Martinez.

The team hopes to bounce back from their disappointing showing at the county tournament and finish the year off strong.

“Obviously, our goal is to reach the State tournament. We have the capability, however, we need to improve individually and the team as a whole,” said Coach Solomon.

Next, the team will compete in the district tournament on October 10th.