• May 10 - Seniors' Last Day
  • May 20 - Last day to submit entries for Reflections Literary Magazine
  • May 24 - Last Day of School

Mellow Mushroom Nears the Opening Date at the Shops at Sunset Place

Photo by Brigitte Northland
Photo by Brigitte Northland

Mellow Mushroom, the spunky and 1970 themed pizzeria, is getting its groove on by opening a new location at the Shops of Sunset Place.

The restaurant is filled with animated mushroom characters and vibrant colors scattered around. The Mellow Mushroom chain has taken off during the last few years and has spread throughout the United States but specifically has increased its’ popularity in the East.

“I went to a Mellow Mushroom when I was at a soccer tournament in Georgia and I loved it. It was so good but I haven’t been able to go to one since. I’m glad they are bringing it down to Miami,” said sophomore Pedro Goldberg.

It is not just a enjoyable place to hang out, but the pizza is delicious. Mellow Mushroom offers many different types of pizza with their own creative names such as “Kosmic Karma,” “Mighty Meaty,” and “Magical Mystery Tour.” Though Mellow Mushroom’s menu is focused primarily on their pizza, they have expanded their menu to comprise a variety of choices including items like salads, calzones, hoagies and what they call “munchies.” This way every customer has options to choose from.

“Pizzas a food group and Mellow Mushroom will dominate it,” said junior, Karine Kaufmann. The main mission of Mellow Mushroom is to “create the most delicious mouth-watering pizza in an unforgettable environment,” according to their official website. It truly is unforgettable, because people always seem to love eating great pizza in a fun and attractive environment. Actually, students’ favorite part of the restaurant is the colorful and signature decor.

“Mellow Mushroom’s interior is so unique. It feels like you are entering an alien world but I absolutely love going there,” said junior, Beatrice Garcia-Herrera.

According to many students, Mellow Mushroom will be a new hotspot because of it’s accessible location at Sunset Place where there are many other shops and restaurants. Another successful chain is Chipotle, a Mexican restaurant, where many students go after class. It is common to see students there after school or even teams eating there after practice. Many students including Carlee Snyder, think that Mellow Mushroom could be as successful as Chipotle.

“I feel like its going to be the new chipotle, I’m really excited to go,” explained junior Carlee Snyder.

The restaurant is not just a fun place for teenagers to hang out, but it is in a convenient part of Miami and close to school. It looks like Mellow Mushroom will have a big crowd when it opens.

By Brigitte Karenna Northland