Black History Month Assembly Gets to Steppin’

The+Step+Afrika+dancers+performing+their+showcase+in+front+of+the+students.+Everybody+in+attendance+cheered+for+them+as+they+were+finishing+their+performance.+This+was+during+a+stepping+contest+between+the+guys+and+the+girls%2C+which+led+to+the+girls+winning+the+round.+
Levi Mbadiwe
The Step Afrika dancers performing their showcase in front of the students. Everybody in attendance cheered for them as they were finishing their performance. This was during a stepping contest between the guys and the girls, which led to the girls winning the round.

To celebrate Black History Month, students came together to watch Step Afrika’s showcase at the Blue Dungeon during Community Time. After school, a barbecue took place at the atrium while music played, wrapping up the celebration.   

“This is the second year having the barbeque and this year we tried to do it at a time when all students can attend. It’s a cool vibe, to sit outside and enjoy a barbeque with friends, good food, and music. Backyard barbeques are traditional in African American culture, so celebrating together’s what it’s all about,” Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion director, Don Lawrence said. 

The event allowed students, faculty, and staff to experience Black culture with all the festivities around campus. 

“Black History Month is a time to acknowledge the excellent ways African American people contributed to society. It also gave our students an experience and educated their eyes to something new with an edge to entertainment and stimulation,” Lawrence said.

After Step Afrika’s performance, ribs, mac and cheese, and baked beans were served during the barbecue following the event. Everyone gathered up to the atrium after the Step Afrika performance. The event was a success as students spent time together celebrating with music and dancing. (Levi Mbadiwe)

Just before the barbecue, Step Afrika performed their dances to the students where they shared the significance of step dancing. The performers got to share the influence of step dancing and why it’s so important to their culture.  

“Stepping is a highly energetic dance form created by African American college students early in the 1900s. We brought it here because our founder, C. Brian Williams ended up going to South Africa after he finished his time at Howard to study dance there as a cultural exchange. He learned the gumboot dance from them and taught them stepping, so they kind of taught each other and showed that these different styles are similar coming from the African diaspora and how it all connects,” stepper Nya Christian said.

Students were entertained by the unique acts of steppin’ performed by Step Afrika.

“The whole thing was amazing to witness. I enjoyed how they showed all the different ways of dancing and the history that goes behind step dancing. I would say my favorite part of the performance was when the boys and girls did a step dance battle,” junior Andrew Martinez said.