Emotional Farewell: Varsity Girls Soccer Celebrates Senior Day and Season Finale

Luciana Hornstein and her parents pose for a photo. Bidding farewell to their high school careers, Senior Day served as a culmination of years of hard work, teamwork, late practices, and games. Not only did fellow players and coaches join the event, but also the proud parents of the senior players.

Girls Soccer Senior Day celebrated the seniors on the team who gave their all to the soccer program throughout their high school career. The event occurred on Jan. 10 at the Sean Taylor Memorial Field and was the first senior day hosted on campus since the reopening of the field.

“I thought the ceremony was beautiful. It was very exciting to do it with our new scoreboard, the new bleachers, and the new field. It made it very special, so I’m glad that they were able to see their careers out that way,” Federico Mor-Tatis, Director of Sports Information, said.

The event celebrated the four senior players on the team: Victoria Figueroa, Isabella Berto, Francesca Abreau, and Luciana Hornstein. Each athlete received a plaque commemorating their high school soccer career, along with a handmade poster from two younger teammates. The event also featured heartfelt speeches from fellow players.

“I had seen my teammates get the plaque in the past during their senior days, so receiving it myself made the culmination of my high school soccer experience very real,” team manager Isabella Berto said. “Coming together as a team, hearing the speeches, and receiving the posters they had worked so hard on was my favorite moment, though, because I knew it would be one of the last times we would be all together.”

All four members joined the team as freshmen and experienced a highly emotional but truly memorable end to their high school playing careers.

“I had been looking forward to my Senior Day since freshman year, and I will miss being on the team so much, especially now that it is over,” team captain Victoria Figueroa said. “It was especially sad knowing that it would be one of the last times I would ever play soccer with my teammates and the best friends that I have made.”

Bidding farewell to their high school careers, the day served as a culmination of years of hard work, teamwork, late practices, and games. Not only did fellow players and coaches join the event, but also the proud parents of the senior players.

“I have been to many of their games throughout the years, and I know how much work they have put in, so they deserved to be celebrated. I was happy to cheer each of them on,” parent Silvina Hornstein said.

Following Senior Day, the team concluded their season with the District Semi-Finals against St. Brendan High School on Jan. 25, ending with a 4-3 loss. Despite the end of the season, the seniors will continue to cherish the memories made both on and off the field.

“Although our season has come to a close, it has been wonderful playing with a group of girls that I have known for years. Working through both the wins and the losses, we have only grown closer, and I know the friendships I have made on the team will endure long after our season’s ending,” center-back Luciana Hornstein said.