Social Justice Warriors Support the Ronald McDonald Charity House

Jackie Mansfield
Social Justice Warriors (SJW) delivered 400 bags of food to Phillis Wheatley Elementary. The club continues to do these initiatives year after year to provide a helping hand to those in need. “It comforts me knowing I am giving back to my community as best I can,” junior SJW member Daniel Wood said.

Newly established club Social Justice Warriors (SJW) brought about a noticeable impact with community service — as demonstrated by their efforts last weekend — donating freshly cooked meals to 10-15 families in the Ronald McDonald Charity House.

Just last weekend, the group gathered at Grown restaurant owner Shannon Allen’s house to cook, package, and later deliver the prepared meals to the Ronald McDonald Charity House in North Miami. Allen, who’s son is actively involved with SJW, emphasized the transformative power of community service. She highlighted the club’s role in inspiring friends and the broader community to engage in meaningful service, fostering a sense of connection and authenticity.

“We got together in my home kitchen and prepared a large amount of food for the families at the charity house; we cooked so much food that the group was able to enjoy a delicious lunch afterwards,” Allen said. “The best expression of love is food — making it a day to remember as we were able to feed all those families.

The Social Justice Warriors’ Project aims to support the Overtown community, by providing bags of food and presents to children — typically before major holidays — to address food insecurity and bring joy to those in need.

“Being a part of the club means a lot because I get to assist the overtown community. Seeing the happiness on the kids and parents’ faces makes all the difference for me,” SJW member Dylan Brown explained.

Social Justice Warriors (SJW)delivered holiday gift bags to the students at Frederick R. Douglass Elementary. Junior David Flores John and sixth grader Ashton Brown, alongside his brother Dylan, share this holiday cheer at the Douglass Campus. SJW completed over 10+ events this year, such as the Lotus House, Frederick R. Douglass Elementary, Phillis Wheatley Elementary, the Ronald McDonald House of Charities Miami, and more. (Jackie Mansfield)

Started by founders in the varsity basketball program, Ryan Meltzer, Luke, Jordan, and Jackson Manfield implemented a slogan that set the club apart: “Athletes for a Change.”

“During our major events, like the hosted events at Gibson Park each year, we emphasize the importance of sports — especially towards the children,” junior SJW Founder Jordan Mansfield said. “Not only do we provide meals for all the families, but we also arrange basketball and football scrimmages for the kids to participate in.”

Before their official launch this school year, SJW consisted of community service projects among friends during middle school. The boys who started the club desired to expand their community service efforts just last summer, rather than leaving it exclusive to close friends.

“After much preparation, the Mansfields [Jackson, Jordan, Luke] and I finally planned out the SJW project,” junior SJW Founder Ryan Meltzer explained. “Just two months ago, we promoted our initiative to the rest of the school during the club rush event [in the Upper School Campus] and brought on lots of newcomers [grades 9-12] who showed up to the last couple projects.”

SJW’s future is bright, with aspirations to make the club a non-profit organization.

“In the meantime, we want to establish ourselves within the gulliver community and teach volunteers the importance of promoting social justice work,” Mansfield said.

The Social Justice Warriors’ dedication to service, authenticity, and community participation remains steadfast as they grow. The stories of fulfillment and transformation that have resulted from their endeavors prove the positive impact that a group of committed individuals can achieve when they work together to make the world a better place.