• May 10 - Seniors' Last Day
  • May 20 - Last day to submit entries for Reflections Literary Magazine
  • May 24 - Last Day of School

P.O.W.E.R. Club Promotes Breast Cancer Awareness by Throwing a Pink Party

Oscar Maximilian Garcia del Rey
Junior Claire Roades and senior Constanza Prato purchase baked goods. The stands were open during A lunch and B lunch outside of the cafeteria. This made it very accessible for students to see the event and participate at their leisure.

In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the P.O.W.E.R. (Promotion of Women’s Equal Rights) Club recently threw a “Pink Party” to generate funds in support of breast cancer awareness advocacy.

“The party was a really fun way to raise awareness!” attendee junior Samantha Vides said.

The P.O.W.E.R. Club’s President, junior Leticia Lemann, brainstormed ideas when it dawned on her to create a “Pink Party”. The party’s goal was to raise funds in support of people with breast cancer, and gift hair wraps to those undergoing chemotherapy. The pink theme originated from the color’s historical association with breast cancer awareness advocacy. 

Ultimately, the club raised around $350. However, the allocation of these funds remains tentative.

“We’ve raised a lot of money which we’ll ultimately donate to an organization or buy, then donate head wraps for patients undergoing chemotherapy,” Lemann said.

The party featured various activity booths for all to enjoy. At one, students could made their own pink friendship bracelets while at the other, they could write letters of support to patients undergoing cancer treatment.

“Even though our students don’t know the kids, writing these letters gives the kids a level of understanding that there are people out there rooting for them,” P.O.W.E.R. Club sponsor Cheryl Joseph said.

Even though Breast Cancer Awareness Month nears its end, this is just the beginning for the P.O.W.E.R. Club’s fun-filled year they have planned ahead. In November, the club is throwing an after-school viewing of “Little Women”, directed by Greta Gerwig. 

“We want to promote women’s culture in every single way we can,” Lemann said.

In the coming months, students can expect a variety of movie nights, trivia nights, the return of self defense classes, and more.

“The club wants to make sure that this year we emphasize community service and making sure we play a role in these humanitarian efforts, keeping sure of strong ideas of working together, not alone,” Joseph said.

The P.O.W.E.R. Club meets on the fourth Thursday of every month, always opening its doors to new members.