Swim teams defeat Ransom rivals in outstanding season finale

The boys and girls swimming teams ended their season on a high note with their meet against Ransom on Monday, Oct 7. The meet was a big success because the Raiders won all of their individual races and relays. They will continue into the postseason at the Palm League Championships on Saturday, Oct 12 at 1 p.m.

Kathleen Lewis, Copy Editor

Swimmers pushed themselves to the end of a gratifying season with a very successful meet against Ransom Everglades on Monday. The Raiders won every individual event, as well as all three relay races. They were overall very satisfied with the outcome of the meet and with the season as a whole.

“We have won all of our meets so far except the one against Pinecrest,” said sophomore Carina Villalona, who swam in the 100 freestyle, the 200 medley relay, the 200 freestyle relay, and the 400 freestyle races. “I hope we do well and try our best in the upcoming postseason.”

Members of the boys team are also optimistic about this year’s swimming season and about the postseason races to come.

“I was really excited for all the swimmers,” said sophomore Mateo Jaime, a member of the Varsity 1 team and participant in the IM relay and the 1200 and 500 freestyle races. “Most of us had our best times of the season and raced really well. I’ll continue to improve my times, try to go to states, and have a great time with the swimmers who go to the postseason.”

Along with the success the swim team saw this season, their coaches also noticed a great deal of improvement in both their swimming speeds and the teams’ overall energy.

“There was a lot more encouragement and positive energy surrounding the team,” said coach Christopher George. “We wanted to go out there and end our season on a great note, and I think we’ve all stepped up this season.”

George and the swimmers are looking towards state championships in the postseason, but admire the team’s development since the beginning of the season. The outcome of the Ransom meet showed that the swim team is willing to work hard against any competition.

The swim teams will now move onto the Palm League Championships on Saturday, Oct 12 at 1 p.m. and hope to secure another win for the Raiders.