Sophomores build bikes for Toys for Tots

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Christopher McCormick works on his bike during the sophomore class activities on Nov. 13 at C.B. Smith Park.  The bikes were donated to Toys for Tots.  Afterwards, the class played a variety of games and engaged in team-building activities.  Photo by Pedro Schmeil.

Sophomore Christopher McCormick works on his bike during the sophomore class activities on Nov. 13 at C.B. Smith Park. The bikes were donated to Toys for Tots. Afterwards, the class played a variety of games and engaged in team-building activities. Photo by Pedro Schmeil.

Pedro Schmeil

[slideshow_deploy id=’3880′]

The Sophomore class traveled to C.B. Smith Park on Nov. 13, where they had a chance to play games, connect with friends and build bikes for children in need. The day started cloudy and rainy but that didn’t stop students from having a good time.

“I thought it was fun and I liked building bikes for charity. We did some activities and earned coins, we used the coins to buy the bike parts and it took us about 30 coins to build the full bike,” said sophomore Alexa Rico.

After assembling the bikes, they also created signs to go with them.  The bikes were donated to Toys for Tots.  

Students teamed up with friends to complete the various activities leading up to the bike-building event.  This was important, since the activities required effective communication.

“When you’re working with people you know, you can work with them better as you are more comfortable with them. Moreover, you will know how they work and how they succeed in certain areas,” said sophomore Rachel Hooley.

The class event provided a community service opportunity, while allowing students to engage with one another and make new friends.  This was the first trip of its kind for the sophomore class, and one that Activities Director Danielle Bowen hopes to continue.   

“It rained and that wasn’t planned, but we made some notes so it is better next time. But overall, we accomplished what was meant to be accomplished. For sure we will do this again next year, mostly as really great community service project,” said Bowen.

About the Writer
Pedro Schmeil, Writer and Photographer

My name is Pedro Schmeil, I’m from Brazil, and this is my first year on the newspaper staff as a staff writer and photographer. I really like being a...