Boys Varsity Soccer Advance in the Road to States

Senior+and+captain+Tomas+Sciarra+kicks+the+ball.+He+assisted+the+team+to+advance+to+regional+semifinals.+He+helped+the+team+prepare+for+the+games+this+season.+
Eduardo Kingston
Senior and captain Tomas Sciarra kicks the ball. He assisted the team to advance to regional semifinals. He helped the team prepare for the games this season.

The varsity boys soccer team advance to the regional semifinals (FHSAA Class 4A) after beating Cardinal Gibbons yesterday in a 3-0 match and reclaiming their title as the number one soccer team in the country, according to Max Preps.

“We are on a good streak; since the MAST game we’ve been able to show our level,” senior and striker Benjamin Quintana said. “The next game on Friday is very important against a very good team and it’s win or go home so we have to play with everything and hopefully win.”

Sophomore and center-back Jacob Lombard scored two headers, coming from crosses into the box. According to team captain Tomas Sciarra, Lombard practiced his headers  to assist the team. Overall, he has scored a total of three goals this season, preventing the Raiders from conceding throughout the season by being solid in the backline.

The team celebrates a goal by sophomore Jacob Lombard. He scored two goals during the game. He has a total of three goals this season. (Eduardo Kingston)

“Yesterday’s game was a great game with a 3-0 win. We dominated and played great collectively. We did what we always do, which is control possession and create as many chances as possible from those possessions,” senior and midfielder Rodrigo Navarro said. “We rotated a good amount of players in order to avoid injuries and keep everyone fresh for the upcoming game.”

Junior Jorge Gouvea assisted the team after scoring the third and winning goal, totaling three goals for Gouvea this season. The Raiders stole the ball from the middle of the field and brought it to the goal. Gouvea faked a pass by the goalkeeper and was able to make a clear shot into the goal. 

“It’s the best feeling to make it to the semifinals and special by scoring to help us get there is amazing,” Gouvea said. 

The Raiders continue to practice and prepare for the regional semifinals game on Friday on their home turf against Somerset Academy. The game will make or break their season, but the team is focused, taking it one game at a time.

“We are preparing for the next game by keeping our heads on tight and focusing with good training and meal prep,” senior and winger Tomas Sciarra said. “It’s the best feeling being a senior and leading the team and couldn’t want it any other way.”