Junior Class Participated in Annual Beach Cleanup

Friends gather together for a picture while taking a break from collecting trash. After about an hour of picking up trash, students would sit by the rocks to catch a little break. Memorable conversations and activities were held throughout the day.

The junior class traveled to South Pointe Park last Thursday, as part of their annual beach cleanup community service activity. The event was also an opportunity for students to get to know one another.

“The idea of these class trips is twofold. It is a good time for students to have a bonding experience with their class. The other goal is to do something for the community. We get that time together and give back to the community,” Activities Director Celena Sosa said.

The nonprofit organization, Surfrider Foundation, guided students on the beach cleanup, providing buckets to facilitate an efficient way to collect the trash. In a span of one to two hours, the group successfully amassed a total of 70 pounds of garbage.

“Alongside the 70 pounds of trash that were collected, they collected a whole bucket’s worth of aluminum that will later be repurposed. The day was such a success because not only did we clean up the beaches, but most of the trash that was gathered can be recycled later on,” Sosa said.

According to students it was satisfying make an impact.

“At the beach, I would pick up trash with my friends. There were a lot of plastics and a lot of bottles especially in between rocks. It felt nice doing good for the environment,” junior Reed Gettler said.

Students did more than just clean up the beach. The event offered a shared experience, which strengthened friendships and fostered a sense of camaraderie among the class.

“I picked up plenty of garbage along the oceanfront, but was most memorable for me was the bonding that I had with my class. For example, waiting for lunch, I found myself playing a football game with about 10 other friends. The whole day was a must-do again experience,” junior Oscar Valencia said.