• May 10 - Seniors' Last Day
  • May 20 - Last day to submit entries for Reflections Literary Magazine
  • May 24 - Last Day of School

The Music and Dance Departments Celebrate the Holiday Season through “Holiday Dreams” and “Peace on Earth”

Isabella Bernal
Dancers practice one of their many numbers that was showcased in “Holiday Dreams”. They worked hard leading up to the show. “I loved spending time with my class and running over the routines,” freshman dancer Isabella Bernal said.

The music and dance programs celebrated the holiday season through “Holiday Dreams”, this year’s annual dance showcase, and will maintain the merry spirit through the upcoming music concert, “Peace on Earth”. 

“Holiday Dreams” took place on Dec. 2 at the MCK Campus. Students performed dances they have worked on for the past three months. All levels of dance performed throughout the showcase, giving students the chance to exhibit their hard work and dedication to the art form.

“[The dancers] love being in a performance,” Performing Arts Chair and Dance Director Gerri Barreras said. “It’s always wonderful when you’re able to showcase something that you’ve learned.”

Showcasing their skills and passion through performances, dancers like Sofia Mehech enjoy the presence of being on stage and in front of an audience. 

“I liked being on stage and showing what my team had learned,” Mehech said. “The audience seemed really excited about the show.”

Students gather around Middle School Dance Instructor Karla Duval awaiting further instructions. The dancers rehearsed their show, making sure everything was smooth and ready for their performance on Dec. 2. (Isabella Bernal)

Following the dance performance from last weekend, the choir, band, and orchestra students will perform their holiday show on Dec. 6. This year’s concert will take place at the Guzman Hall in the University of Miami. 

According to Music Director Robert Keating, the Performing Arts Department’s main goal is to perform and showcase the hard work they have put in. 

“I love to teach my students,” Keating said, “and I hope that they learn to love to perform as much as I love to hear them perform.” 

The audience can expect numerous solos from the ensemble and the choir singers. According to the students, both the kids and department faculty have put their all into making sure that this show and performance is perfect inside and out. 

Seeing one another perform from start to finish after months of practice brings excitement and joy to the performers.

“I love seeing how excited all the dancers get to be a part of something,” Barreras explained. “I think the dancers love when it’s costume day and we get to try on the costumes because they can actually see what it’s going to look like.”