Brief | Sundancers Showcase Their First Routines of the Year

Lucia Ferreiro Linares
As the Sundancers get ready for their first showcase, they practice in the studio. Three Sundancers practiced their turns and routines as the Showcase approached. The Sundancers were excited to be able to dance for the community.

While some students soaked up the last days of summer, the Sundancers practiced several hours a day to learn their choreography for the new school year. The Sundancers performed the choreography in their showcase on Aug. 28 at the Miller Drive Campus Auditorium.

Dance teacher Gerri Barreras organized the showcase to recognize the team’s work and dedication, especially at the start of the year. 

“I really believe in validating students right away, it’s really important to showcase everything that they learned not only to see it until way later in the year when competitions begin. So seeing little bits of their routines it’s really great not only for the people to see, but for the dancers to be committed to what they are doing,” said Barreras.

The Sundancers started their training on Aug. 10, rehearsing for approximately 4-7 hours every day for a week in preparation for the showcase. Their hard work came through at the showcase, introducing the audience to the new team.

“I think the showcase is a great way to show off the team early in the year. Even if the practice was really hard and long, I love dancing and I couldn’t wait to perform,”  freshman Sofia Mehech said.