Boys and Girl Track: On to the Postseason

Fox-Mar

Junior Nick Zambolla finishes running the 400 meter dash at the Sam Burley Invitational meet.

Diego Collazo, Staff Writer

With the regular season of boys and girls track coming to a close, they are now preparing to race in districts on Wednesday, April 19. After practicing for over four months and competing in five meets they are now ready to face their most important race of the season, districts. 

Many of the athletes have seen notable improvement this season at the cost of many hours spent undertaking intense training.

“Our practices have been incredibly hard this year compared to last year and I have never experienced as much pain as I have during practices this season,” junior Nick Zambolla said.

Improvement has been one of the biggest things the team has been working on all year.

“I feel like practice is a big reason why I have been improving in all my races this year,” Freshman Luc Carrol said.

Practices this year started much earlier compared to years prior. This year the off-season for track started in November compared to last year where it started in January.

“I feel like starting practices earlier rather than later gave us an advantage so we could really reach our full potential,” Freshman Lena Ross said.

The track team is filled with a lot of young talent as there will be seven freshmen boys and six freshmen girls competing in districts this year as well as several sophomores.

“Last year we had a team filled with mostly seniors. It is good to see how much young talent we have now and how well they are developing,” coach Zaza Wellington said. 

Due to all the hard work and practice the raiders are predicted to get second place overall at districts with four male athletes and two female athletes projected to get in the top 3 of their events.

“I really hope that we are able to win districts and have some of our athletes advance to regionals and hopefully even states,” Coach Larry Grier said.

The Raiders hope to continue to work hard and keep improving as the postseason is around the corner.