Troupe 2450 Brings Home the Gold Throughout Competition Season

Leslie Fuentes

Troupe 2450 pictured at the One Acts Festival after being awarded the State Representative Title. The troupe was awarded multiple other awards.

Valeria Bigott, Social Media Editor

After an intense start to the competition season, Troupe 2450, the theater department’s thespian troupe, brought home numerous wins in the One Acts Festival and the Individual Events Competition. 

The troupe started the season by taking a 40 minute segment of their Spring Musical, Into the Woods, to compete in the One Act District 8 Festival a couple of weeks ago. With 18 one-act performances competing, Troupe 2450 was one of only two shows which earned a superior score and was chosen to represent District 8 Thespians at the state wide festival in March. 

Along with the superior score and state representative title, Troupe 2450’s one act performance of Into the Woods was recognized and awarded for other categories in the One Act Festival. The following troupe members were recognized: Valeria Bigott ‘24 (All Star Cast Member), Esther Enekes ‘23 (All Star Crew Member), Theodore Ciperski ‘23 (Outstanding Performance in a Lead Comedic Role), and Outstanding Program Design.

“It felt really great to be recognized for my performance and to know it had an impact on not only the judges but the audience as well. I’m also so proud of our ensemble, I truly admire their tremendous talent and work ethic,” Ciperski said. 

The troupe’s winning streak continued that same weekend at the District 8 Individual Events Competition, with the troupe bringing home 20 Superior Scoring pieces, three Excellent scoring pieces, and seven Top Honors Pieces. 

Troupe 2450’s District 8 top honors pieces ranged from performance and tech pieces: Duet Acting- Valeria Bigott ‘24 and Sophia Lambert ‘25, Duet Musical- Siena McKelvey’25  and Julia Piquet ‘25, Monologue- Theodore Ciperski ‘23, Monologue- Sophia Lambert ‘25, Playwriting- Ian Gill ‘23, Playwriting- Idalia Basterra ‘24, and Solo Musical Theatre- Samantha Falcon ‘23.

Along with an award-packed competition season, valuable experiences were also gained. Troupe members auditioned for the district wide Improv Jams and select actors were cast and chosen to be in the Miami Dade Improv Team and will be performing alongside other experienced professional and student actors. The show will raise money and the proceeds will go towards the Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids relief. The selected troupe members chosen to represent District 8 are Sebastian Ulloa ‘24, Valeria Bigott ‘24, Siena McKelvey ‘25, and Samuel Levinger ‘25. 

With a strong start to the competition season, the young actors are now preparing for the States Festival in March, where the troupe is only permitted to take six pieces to compete in the festival. The top honors pieces selected for state competition are Duet Acting- Valeria Bigott ‘24 and Sophia Lambert ‘25, Solo Musical Theatre- Samantha Falcon ‘23, Monologues- Theodore Ciperski ‘23, Duet Musical- Siena McKelvey’25  and Julia Piquet ‘25, Playwriting- Ian Gill ‘23, and Playwriting- Idalia Basterra ‘24.

Troupe Director, Jessica Fox, expressed a sense of relief with the district competitions now over. 

“I’m feeling less stressed, only because when we go to districts we’ll take twenty-some scenes. When we go to states, we take six, and those six got perfect scores the first round so it is less up front prep. It’s a harder competition, but it is a narrower focus,” Fox said.

With district competition out of the way, the troupe is preparing for its many class plays, public performances, and auditions for the mainstage spring show of this year: Stefanie Hero. 

“The groundwork has been laid, and I feel like it always goes faster once we’ve done that initial creative process,” Fox said. 

The Theatre Department will be showcasing all competition pieces for the district festival in their annual “Drama and Deserts” showcase taking place Jan. 6.