Veteran’s Day: Remembrance Through Poppies

Senior+Ainsley+Kling+took+it+upon+herself+to+commemorate+all+those+who+served+in+the+United+States+Armed+Forces+for+Veterans+Day+on+Nov.+11.+With+the+help+of+the+student+government%2C+Kling+was+able+to+create+300+poppy+pins+which+will+be+handed+out+to+the+student+body%2C+serving+as+a+symbol+of+both+remembrance+and+peace.+

Anya Gruener

Senior Ainsley Kling took it upon herself to commemorate all those who served in the United States Armed Forces for Veterans Day on Nov. 11. With the help of the student government, Kling was able to create 300 poppy pins which will be handed out to the student body, serving as a symbol of both remembrance and peace.

Anya Gruener, Copy Editor

Senior Ainsley Kling has taken it upon herself to commemorate all those who served in the United States Armed Forces for Veterans Day each Nov. 11, but this year her hopes to celebrate these individuals grew to be much larger than expected.

“I have been celebrating Veterans Day on campus since freshman year on a smaller scale, but this is really the first year that I have been able to include the student council and really make this a school wide event,” Kling said.

Kling, with the help of the student government, was able to create 300 poppy pins which will be handed out to the student body. The symbolism behind the poppies goes back to WWI. After the war ended, poppies grew on the battlefields. The flower continues to serve as a symbol of both remembrance and peace.

“I was very excited to be given the chance to help execute the event. I didn’t know much about the symbolism behind the poppy flower before, but I am glad that I was able to learn about the history while commemorating the many soldiers,” Junior Vice President Ella Barras said. 

Kling hoped to not only teach the student body the importance of WW1, but also to honor the multiple generations of military veterans.

“In America we really do not understand the significance of WWI. It is a forgotten war because we only fought in the war for one year, so it is deeply overshadowed by WWII,” Kling said. “However, the sacrifices all these men made is something that we should never forget. Poppies don’t just symbolize the veterans of WW1 but the veterans that fought and died in all wars.”

Besides her passion for history, Kling was also motivated to bring this event onto campus due to her personal ties to WW1.

“I have family members who have died in WW1 and served in other wars— including WW2, the Vietnam War, and the Korean War,” Kling said. “As someone who loves history and has been tracing my family’s past, I find it especially important to remember the sacrifices made by everyone, including my own family.”

Not only does Kling look forward to commemorating this event, but also to seeing the many students who will be able to participate in the day as well.

“Veterans Day is a day which needs much more recognition, so I am glad that a student was able to step up and do just that,” Junior Giulia Gubeissi Francez said. “I am excited to participate, and I will be sure to wear a pin proudly and with honor.”