The Raiders Gear Up During Basketball Pre-Season

Christian Halayko

The Raiders competing during the AAU season.

Otto Hellmund, Staff Writer

With the basketball season coming up around the corner, the Raiders prepare to fight for their spot in districts and eventually states. 

The Raiders are prepared to turn things around after going 12-14 during the 2021-2022 season. Assistant Coach Justin Cardoza is confident that the squad can finally prove themselves as one of the top teams in Miami, especially after their 64-31 pre-season game win against Ransom Everglades that took place last Tuesday.

“Going into the game all of us were excited yet nervous for the outcome, but all those nerves went away once the game started,” said Junior Guard Jackson Mansfield. “This dominating win gives me and my teammates the confidence we need for the upcoming season.”

After just barely edging over Ransom last year in both the pre-season and regular season games, the Raiders were proud to win the game by a big margin this time around and keep the winning streak going against a big-time rival — a testament to the team’s notable improvement throughout the off-season.

“I’ve seen significant improvement from our young players, and I know our seniors will put their best foot forward for their final high school basketball season, ” said Cardoza.

The Raiders will kick off their season opener in early November and are confident in their ability to make district playoffs and in due time, states.

“We’re a great team who will most definitely have a phenomenal season and an even better postseason. All of us just have to stay focused and keep our eyes on the prize: that state chip,” said Mansfield.