Sofia Gershanik Takes The Senate

Sofia+Gershanik+and+her+peers+in+the+U.S.+Senate+Page+Program+meet+with+Majority+Leader+Chuck+Schumer.+

Sofia Gershanik and her peers in the U.S. Senate Page Program meet with Majority Leader Chuck Schumer.

Anya Gruener, Staff Writer

During the month of June, Sofia Gershanik ‘24 was chosen to be a US Senate summer page by Senator Mitch McConnell, Minority Leader of the U.S. Senate. From Monday, June 13, 2022 to Friday, June 24, 2022, Gershanik was an employee of the United States Senate and worked on the floor of the Senate chamber for the Republican cloakroom. 

‘’While being a Senate Page I got the opportunity to experience what it is like to sit on the Senate floor. I got the chance to walk on the same floors that some of our country’s most prominent men and women have walked, spoken, and sat on,‘’ said Sofia Gershanik. 

During the two week period, Gershanik worked an eight to twelve hour shift in which she was responsible for making calls, delivering documents, making copies of bills, and roll calling votes. Despite the heavy workload, Gershanik enjoyed the multiple acquaintances she was able to make. 

She recalls having the opportunity, ‘’to meet and interact with members of the US Senate and US House — such as US Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, Majority Whip Dick Durbin, US Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, Minority Whip John Thune, and US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’’.

Despite her young age, Gershanik was able to fully immerse herself inside the legislative branch of the United States government. Not only did Gershanik make a positive contribution on the floor, but also on her peers. She worked attentively and collaboratively with other inspiring high school students from across the country. 

‘’I worked with Sofia at the beginning of summer 2022,’’ Christina Dodd said, ‘’The tasks we performed both inside the senate cloak room and on the senate rostrum allowed us to watch firsthand the democracy we live in.‘’

Sofia Gershanik truly showed what it meant to be a dedicated and hardworking Gulliver Raider during her participation in the distinguished U.S. Senate Page Program. 

Sofia Gershanik and her peers in the U.S. Senate Page Program meet with Minority Leader Senator Mitch McConnell.