Track and Field Prepares for Districts

Madison Aguilera

The boys and girls track and field teams have had exciting individual performances throughout the season, entering the playoffs on Friday with confidence.

Madison Aguilera, Staff Writer

Athletes on the boys and girls track and field teams have worked hard all season in preparation for the District Championships, to take place this Friday, Apr. 22, at Tropical Park. 

Many athletes have set personal records this season and look to bring the momentum into Friday’s competition.

Juniors Madison Aguilera and Sofia Cancio have set several personal records this year in the 100 m and 200 m races.

“I can’t wait to see the hard work come alive on Friday,” Cancio said.

Seniors Nalani Brown, and Catherine Ehrling had a breakout season, setting personal records in the 200 m race. Junior Jalen Brown also set a school record, running a 10.65 in the 100 m race several months ago at the FSU relays in Tallahassee.

“These kids have worked hard all season, and those that made the most of every rep will have the chance to show it on Friday, ” commented track and field’s Coach Suarez.

Sophomore Valeria Castillo set a personal record, with a time of 2 minutes and 40 seconds in the 800 m race. “I want to continue to improve every time I step on the track, ” Castillo said.

Both the girls and boys 4×4 and 4×1 relays are some of the best in their region via FL Runners, and the team feels confident that they have what it takes to go all the way to States. 

The Regional Qualifiers will continue to compete in the 2A Region 4 Championship on Thursday, May 5, in Fort Lauderdale.