Advisory: Inclusivity, Connection, and Support

While new freshmen must learn a new campus and meet new people, one place where they can always return is Advisory. The program has helped freshmen forge new connections with both classmates and teachers that last throughout high school.

TRANSCRIPT:

While new freshmen must learn a new campus and meet new people, one place where they can always return is Advisory. Underclassmen meet with their Advisory group every morning and feel that the program eases their transition to high school.

“It helps us get used to high school and being a freshman,” freshman Gabriel Munk said.

In addition to having students socialize and work on homework, Advisory teachers aim to help freshmen feel comfortable on campus. Some, like math teacher Matthew DeBarger, designed fun activities to promote kindness and inclusion. DeBarger’s class talked about diversity on campus and created a LEGO structure together.

“It was just cool because they all jumped into the project,” said DeBarger. “I want it to be comfortable for the students, it’s got to be less intense than class. It’s supposed to be a time to just relax and get to know each other and explore important topics.”

One of the biggest advantages of advisory is creating lasting relationships between students and teachers throughout high school.

“It helped me as a freshman because it introduced me to some new kids I’m friends with now, and it introduced me to a new teacher at the Prep who I can go to and ask if I have any questions or need anything,” sophomore Ian Uccelli said.

Currently, students in grades nine through eleven report to their Advisory on a daily basis, but the program serves to create a community of mutual support.