Boys Varsity Soccer Season Ends in State Finals

Eduardo Cachon

The boys varsity soccer team seniors pose with their trophy after finishing their season as the runner-up in the State Finals against Arnold on Thursday.

Eduardo Cachon, Sports Editor

After an intense state finals game, the Raiders fell short to Arnold High School, with a final score of 0-2. This loss is not a testament to the tremendous season the team had.

“Our season definitely had its ups and its downs,” said freshman Marco Mendoza. “From quarantining due to a COVID outbreak to going on a streak in the playoffs to make the best out of our season, we learned a lot from this season, although we did not get the result we wanted in the end.”

Ending the regular season with a record of 3-5-3, few expected the Raiders to make it this far into the season but themselves. One thing about this year’s Raider soccer team is that they have the heart of a lion, never ceasing to fight although being the underdog.

“We realized that we needed to work together, string up better practices and work hard to be able to make it far in the playoffs,” mentioned senior Sebastian Pakciarz. “I see us as underdogs who overcame a lot to just get to States, so I am proud of this team because no one would have thought we would make it this far.”

Although having a poor record, the Raiders got together and made it their mission to make it all the way and defend last year’s state championship. In the post-season, they beat skilled teams such as Key West (who they lost to in the regular season) and Jensen Beach. The Raiders finished with a post-season record of 6-1, showing how quickly they were able to come together and step up their game.

The Raiders held their own against a very talented Arnold team and made it farther than anyone thought they would, so kudos to them!