Planning for the Future Ahead at Business Club’s Career Fair

Kathleen Lewis, Copy Editor

Getting into college is hard, but finding the right career path to pursue can be even harder. Every year, the Business Club hosts the Career Fair to help students explore job opportunities in areas from architecture to finance to law to medicine. Students could speak to representatives from a variety of companies, ask questions, and sign up for internships.

“I found a law firm that was really interesting,” said sophomore Carina Villalona. “I do debate and I’m interested in going into law possibly, so it was nice to learn about the possible challenges that I may have in that field.”

The Career Fair was also helpful to students who do not know what their interests are yet and want to explore opportunities. “I feel like I don’t know what I’m going to do in college and I want a sense of what I’m going to do when I’m older, so I liked talking to these people.” said sophomore Michael Amsel.

Some of the companies that attended the Career Fair included Bloomberg, Univision, and the Haggard Law Firm. Architecture students could speak to representatives from Perkins and Will, and booths hosted by real therapists and counselors attracted students interested in psychology.

“We want to make sure that students are inspired for architecture,” said Lorena Knezevic, a representative from Perkins and Will. “I think it’s such a beautiful profession and it really impacts people’s lives and changes them.”

“I work as a licensed marriage and family therapist and I started boutique practice about twenty-four years ago,” said Michal Keshen-Philips, a Gulliver alumna and business owner who presented to students. “I think it’s very important to be able to come and to share my experiences if somebody’s interested in psychology or counseling or if they have an interest in therapy. It’s important to let them know that it’s available.”

“If students are trying to enter the financial industry, I think it’s very important for them to know how Bloomberg works and to at least get their feet wet, because the entire financial industry communicates via Bloomberg,” said John Herrera, a representative from (you got it) Bloomberg.

This year’s Career Fair also featured a student-created company, Spondooli. “Our business is Spondooli, which is a stock market simulator which helps you learn how to invest in the stock market,” said sophomore Ryan Gibeau, one of three students running the company. “This simulator here, which is on Android currently and testing is exactly like the regular stock market, but it’s with an in-game currency, so you’re not actually putting real money on the line. So when the time comes and you’re actually investing in the market, you know what you’re doing.”

Overall, this year’s Career Fair provided a special opportunity for students to learn what possibilities lie for the road ahead of high school.