Journalism and Broadcasting Students Recognized at NSPA Fall Convention in Washington D.C.

Kathleen Lewis, Copy Editor

https://youtu.be/o5pXqyOFCz4

Staff members of The Raider Voice, The Raider yearbook, and RaiderVision daily news show had the opportunity to represent their publications this November at the NSPA Fall Convention in Washington, D.C. along with publication and TV production faculty advisers Monica Rodriguez and Michael Sylver.

During the convention, students attended instructional sessions led by high school and college professors and connected with other high school journalists from the more than 6,000 student participants. Chuck Todd, a celebrated journalist and moderator of NBC’s Meet the Press, spoke at the opening ceremony about the importance of quality journalism in modern-day society. Students also got to see some of the nation’s capital by visiting the Washington Post printing headquarters, walking through the National Zoo, and taking a night tour of the monuments.

“I thought that seeing the monuments was the best activity along with going to the zoo,” said junior Cindy Vega. “At the zoo we were able to really bond and experience the cold Washington weather.”

One of the most exciting parts of the trip were the JEA National Student Media Contests where staff members competed against hundreds of other student journalists in  categories like newswriting, broadcast feature, and photography, and Best in Show. The following students and publications were recognized:

Reflections Literary Magazine, 6th place in Best in Show

Nina Castro Alves, Excellent in Video Package Editing

Kimberley Cruz, Honorable Mention in Yearbook Copy/Caption: Academics

Morgan Vasquez, Honorable Mention in Review Writing

Pedro Schmeil, Honorable Mention in Broadcast Feature Video

Teresa Ariza, Honorable Mention in Commentary Writing

Kathleen Lewis, Honorable Mention in Feature Writing

Chris Purcell, Honorable Mention in Broadcast Newswriting

Lucas Figueroa and Dave Haisch, Honorable Mention in Broadcast Package

The NSPA convention proved to be a big step in the development of The Raider Voice as a news source. Staff members met with design experts, acquiring both new skills and inspiration to improve the online news site. 

“It was a really nice experience and I’m glad I went,” said junior Pedro Schmeil. “I think going to NSPA helped me grow as a journalist.”